Netflix released movie and series downloads last year to watch even without an internet connection. Despite the good news, there are some rules for downloading titles. Check below a summary of what the service offers:
To download a file, the device must:
- Run Android version 4.4.2 or higher;
- Run iOS version 8.0 or higher;
- Have an internet connection;
- Have the most up-to-date version of the Netflix app.
How to download a movie or series?
First of all, it is important to note that not all Netflix titles are available for download. To check the complete list, select the option "Available for download", which is in the main menu.
- When choosing the movie, click on the download icon, represented by a down arrow above a horizontal line;
- The downloaded files can be found in "My Downloads", within the application;
- Stay tuned: for series, the icon is displayed with each available episode.
How long are the files available for?
According to Netflix, time varies with each movie or series. The user receives a warning that the title will expire seven days before this happens and, in general, after starting to watch, you have 48 hours to finish an episode or movie. Otherwise, you need to download it again.
You can choose the appropriate video quality. The options are: Standard, a slightly lower resolution that takes up less storage space, and Higher, which uses more storage space and therefore takes longer to download.
- To change this setting, click on the menu icon and on “Application settings”;
- Under "Downloads", select the "Video quality" option and adjust as you prefer.
Manage storage (Android)
On Android, it is possible to store downloads directly on the SD card. Learn how to do it:
- Click on the menu and on “Application settings”;
- In "Downloads", select the option "Location of downloads" and select where you want to save the downloaded movies and series.
Attention: the action only changes the location of future downloads. Titles already downloaded remain in the same place.
Accessing downloaded videos
- Click on "Menu" and "My downloads";
- Select the title you want to watch. In the case of a series, you must also choose the specific episode.
Deleting downloaded files
- Select the menu icon;
- Click on “My downloads” and select the “Edit” button at the top of the screen;
- Touch the red X icon to delete the title.
- Select the menu and go to “My Downloads”;
- Click the "Edit" icon and tap the red X to remove the file.