One of the most traditional methods for keeping in touch with friends, professionals and companies is still email. In turn, in an internet where you need to be increasingly concerned with the privacy, it’s always good to make sure you’re not being tracked by email.
To help, the Olhar Digital prepared a guide with settings to be performed in the main services and email applications so that your privacy is respected. Next, check out how not to be tracked by emails.
How ugly tracking via email is
Before getting into the details of how to avoid being tracked by email, you need to understand what really tracks you. In most emails received, whether from promotions or other contacts, their bodies usually contain images and links.
However, some companies or contacts may use "pixels" hidden in the middle of these elements that send information as soon as they are viewed. So, this is how many marketing platforms get data from you even if you haven't actually clicked on something in the body of the email.
How not to be tracked by Gmail on PC
Anyone who uses Google's email service on their computer has some options to not be tracked, with a configuration on the site itself being the most recommended. Look:
1. Normally access the Gmail account in the browser of your choice;
2. Click on the “gear” icon;
3. In the open menu, click on “View all settings”;
4. Under "Images", check the option "Ask before displaying external images".
In addition to making this configuration, whoever prefers, can also use an extension such as “Ugly Email”, Which makes almost the same configuration as above in Gmail more automatically.
How not to be tracked by Gmail on mobile
Those using the Gmail application on their Android or iOS phone (iPhone system) can also do this same configuration. Check out:
1. With the Gmail app open, touch the icon represented by “three lines” and go to “Settings”;
2. Select your account and look for the “Images” option. When touching it, select the option “Ask before displaying external images (also disables dynamic emails).
How not to be tracked in Office 365 Outlook
A very popular option among Office subscribers on Windows is the Outlook client, which also has a function to maintain your privacy. Look:
1. Click on “File” and go to “Options”;
2. Then enter “Reliability Center”;
3. Now, under "Automatic download", check the options "Do not automatically download images in HML, standard or RSS items" and "Do not download images in encrypted or signed HTML email messages".
How not to be tracked in Microsoft Mail
Those who do not subscribe to Office, but use Windows 10 also have the option of using the “Microsoft Mail” client, which is more intended for personal use. Despite this, it also has an option to avoid this type of screening. Check out:
1. Open Microsoft Mail normally and click on the “gear” icon;
2. In the open menu, go to “Reading panel”;
3. Deselect the options “Automatically download external images and style formats except S / MIME messages” and “Automatically download external images and style formats for S / MIME messages”.
How not to be tracked in Apple Mail
Those using Apple Mail, the standard Mac OS email client, can also be on their guard when opening their emails. To do this, just activate an option, as shown in the step by step below:
- Open Apple Mail normally and enter your "Preferences";
2. Click on the “Visualization” tab;
3. Deselect the option “Load remote content into messages”.
How not to be tracked by emails on the iPhone
When using iOS on the phone, many people end up choosing to use their own email client that comes pre-installed on it. So, if you use it, a simple configuration helps you to avoid being tracked. Check out:
1. Open the “Settings” part of iOS and enter “Mail”;
2. In "Messages", disable the "Load images" option.
Ready! Now, you already know how to avoid being tracked through your emails. Those who are still on the computer can also choose to set up their email account on the client “Thunderbird”From Mozilla, which is configured by default so that these images and pixels are blocked.