A Samsung announced on Monday (22) that it is extending the period of security updates for its smartphones launched since 2019. Now, devices will receive monthly or quarterly updates for four years after launch.
Security updates are crucial to keeping smartphones protected from vulnerabilities discovered after its launch, which can be exploited by criminals in espionage campaigns or to spread malware.
Google launches monthly packages with Android security updates, but few manufacturers distribute them regularly to consumers, if only in the long term.
List of compatible phones
According to Samsung, the devices covered by the new policy range from entry-level models, such as the Galaxy A series, to the top of the range in the Fold family. See the full list:
- Galaxy Fold Line: Fold, Fold 5G, Z Fold2, Z Fold2 5G, Z Flip, Z Flip 5G
- Galaxy S Line: S10, S10 +, S10e, S10 5G, S10 Lite, S20, S20 5G, S20 +, S20 + 5G, S20 Ultra, S20 Ultra 5G, S20 FE, S20 FE 5G, S21 5G, S21 + 5G, S21 Ultra 5G
- Galaxy Note Line: Note10, Note10 5G, Note10 +, Note10 + 5G, Note10 Lite, Note20, Note20 5G, Note20 Ultra, Note20 Ultra 5G
- Galaxy A Line: A10, A10e, A10s, A20, A20s, A30, A30s, A40, A50, A50s, A60, A70, A70s, A80, A90 5G, A11, A21, A21s, A31, A41, A51, A51 5G, A71, A71 5G, A02s, A12, A32 5G, A42 5G
- Galaxy M Line: M10s, M20, M30, M30s, M40, M11, M12, M21, M31, M31s, M51
- Galaxy XCover Line: XCover4s, XCover FieldPro, XCover Pro
- Galaxy Tab Line: Tab Active Pro, Tab Active3, Tab A 8 (2019), Tab A with S Pen, Tab A 8.4 (2020), Tab A7, Tab S5e, Tab S6, Tab S6 5G, Tab S6 Lite, Tab S7 , Tab S7 +
Remember that security updates are different from operating system version updates (such as an upgrade to Android 10 ou 11). A device may be running Android 9 and still have all the latest updates for that version of the system.