The Barcelona edition of MWC 2021 is still scheduled for June, but Samsung and Lenovo have already informed that they will not attend the event in person. According to communiqués from both companies, obtained respectively by Reuters and The Verge, the manufacturers chose not to appear in order to preserve the health and safety of their exhibitors in the face of Covid-19 pandemic.
It is worth remembering, however, that MWC 2021 will still have both companies on a remote basis, even though neither of them has detailed how this will be done or even what they intend to exhibit. Other events, such as E3 2021 and the Game Developers Conference (GDC) must also be conducted remotely.
- Almost virtual: Tokio Game Show 2021 will be online, but will have a face-to-face component
- Understand the importance of taking the second dose of Covid-19 vaccine
- Covid-19 protective measures help prevent flu and other illnesses
The MWC (or “Mobile World Congress”) 2021 is held annually on three occasions, each in a city: although the Barcelona edition is the best known and usually the one that everyone thinks about when they hear the name of the event.
The GSMA, which controls its production, also extended the brand to Shanghai (China) and Los Angeles (USA). The event is the main meeting of technology companies operating in the mobile market, such as smartphone manufacturers, app developers and other resources.
In 2020, MWC was one of the first events to suffer from the Covid-19 pandemic. With the new coronavirus spreading around the world, the event scheduled for the first quarter of last year underwent several rescheduling, until it is strictly canceled after several previously confirmed manufacturers removed their support due to the preservation of employee health.
For the 2021 edition, MWC continues to fight to hold a face-to-face event, promising to follow advanced health control protocols, on-site testing and reduced public - although, with the exception of the USA, several other countries of origin of some participating companies facing difficulties in vaccination campaigns.
According to the Covid-19 map updated by Google, the region of Catalonia - where the city of Barcelona is located - registered 597.957 cases Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic, with 14.409 deaths.
"The health and safety of our employees, partners and customers is our highest priority, so we made the decision to withdraw from this year's Mobile World Congress face-to-face exhibition," said Samsung, via email. To The Verge, Lenovo said it had informed the GSM group that it would remotely attend the occasion last Friday (7).
It is worth remembering that several companies have already chosen not to participate in this year's edition of the fair, remotely or not, such as Sony, Oracle, Ericsson and Nokia.
Have you watched our new videos on YouTube? Subscribe to our channel!