As expected, Microsoft released the final version of Windows 11 this Tuesday (5). Those who want to upgrade, can now choose to install the successor to Windows 10 on machines that comply the requirements of the system.
For this, the user has some options at his disposal. One of them is to install the update automatically through Windows Update. However, there is also the option to create an installation media using a pen drive via the 'Media Creation Tool'.
At first, it is worth mentioning that for the method to work it is necessary that the pen drive chosen has at least 8 GB of internal space and is empty, as the storage device will be formatted during the process. You also need to be connected to the internet to be able to download the installation files.
How to Create a Bootable Pen Drive to Install Windows 11
1. Access the official website Windows 11 and click 'Download Now' in the 'Create Windows 11 Installation Media' section to download the 'Media Creation Tool' executable file.
2. Then open the Microsoft tool and click 'Accept'.
3. Select which language and version of Windows 11 you want to download and click next.
Tip: You can check the option “Use the recommended options for this computer”, which fills in the fields according to the language of your current system.
4. With the pen drive connected to your device, check the 'USB flash drive' option and click 'Next' again.
From here, keep in mind that any data stored on the pen drive will be erased.
5. From the list of drives, select the connected flash drive, in the example below identified as the “H: USB” drive, and click 'Next'.
6. Now Windows 11 will start to download and store on the pen drive. The speed of the process will depend on your connection. Even if you notice a delay, do not remove or shut down your computer while downloading.
7. Finally, when the download is finished, click 'Next' and 'Finish'.
Ready! In the end, as in the screenshot below, all the files needed to install Windows 11 will be stored on your pen drive.
- Windows 11: AMD reports performance drop on Ryzen processors
- Windows 11: how to use 'snap layouts'; feature organizes open windows on the desktop
- Windows 11: Microsoft includes warning on installation of incompatible devices
How to start the installation using the pen drive
Now, you will be able to install the system on any compatible device through the pen drive. However, for this you need to select it when booting your computer to start the installation.
To do this, as soon as the PC is turned on, repeatedly press the F12 key (this key changes depending on the device manufacturer, on some PCs it may be necessary to press the F11 or even F8) key to access the boot menu. If that doesn't work, try finding this answer on Google by searching for terms like “boot menu key” next to your computer model.
From the list that appears on the screen, select the pen drive created earlier (usually named as: USB HDD: “pendrive model”).
If you've made it this far, just follow the usual Microsoft process to install the new version of Windows on your machine.
Main Image Credits: mundissima/shutterstock
Have you watched our new videos on YouTube do Olhar Digital? Subscribe to the channel!